Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bite of Seattle - Bite Cooks Video Competition



For the last 30 years, the Bite of Seattle has been one of the biggest festivals in the Pacific Northwest. In 2003, there were 60 restaurants participating with over 450,000 visitors. That is a LOT of foot traffic!
The Bite of Seattle is by far my absolute favorite festival in the Pacific Northwest. This year will be my third year in a row. One of my favorite parts of it is The Bite Cooks event!

The Bite Cooks! is an interactive and high energy live cooking entertainment showcase located on the Fisher rooftop for everyone to enjoy. Participants include some of Seattle’s finest chefs and local culinary experts who will spice up the stage with creative programming segments and cooking demonstrations. Local chefs will compete in a Bite Cook Off!, where they will be given three mystery ingredients, a small pantry of basic cooking staples and leave it up to the audience to judge there final entrĂ©e. The winner will be crowned The Bite Cooks Master! All demonstrations will be done on a fully-equipped stage provided by Viking. Mmm, Viking.

They have recorded this event indoors for the last few years, though this year they are going outdoors. I hope the weather cooperates!


Over the last few years, I've had several friends tell me "You should have your own cooking show!"


Alrighty, friends: now it's time to put your money where your mouth is.  Well, actually it's time to put your votes (via mouse-clicking) where your mouth is!

This year, for the second year in a row, The Bite Cooks is holding a home video contest.  Home chefs are invited to prepare a recipe that represents "Fresh Northwest" cuisine, and demonstrate the recipe in a 20 minute video.  The winner will receive $100 in "Bite Bucks" certificates and $350 worth of Viking kitchenware.  Mmm, Viking.  Beyond that, the winner gets 20 minutes of fame (albeit on local tv ... through Comcast) to demonstrate their recipe with Thierry Rautureau.

I was not aware of this contest last year, but I am totally participating this year!  I am super excited to submit my video!  :)  In case you can't tell, I love learning and sharing knowledge with others - especially when it comes to food!

Now, this is the part where I must shamlessly ask my friends to get out there and vote for my video! Pretty please?  Sorry for the low production value of it.  What can I say?  I'm more of a videographer than a chef!


Here is the link to vote for my video. Please feel free to forward this to your friends and get the word out. Even if people do not want to vote, I at least hope they can learn something and enjoy the video!

I've sort of racked my brain to select a recipe to submit to the contest, and I have put a LOT of work into this video.  I have plenty of great recipes to submit, though they might not all work well for a 20 minute segment.  Plus they don't all fit with the "Fresh Northwest" theme since I'm not originally from the Northwest.  Barbecue contest?  Oh yes!  Tex-Mex cuisine contest?  The judges in this region wouldn't know what hit them!  Baking competition?  The fat kid within me squeals with delight!  Recipes using bacon?  Oh it would be ON!  Northwest (summer) cuisine?  Oh, hrm...  Yeah, it was difficult, but I think I've picked a winner.  I hope the judges think so too!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment